It's that time again -- the overzealous joshers have held back their foolish antics all year, and they are ready to release that pent up humor. Meanwhile somber people everywhere are taking cover. It's April Fool's Day. Whether you like it or not, you are bound to cross paths with some kind of prank or joke, regardless of whether it is on you, by you, or just a random part of your day.
Overall, it's all in good fun... or is it?
I'm a firm believer in the idea that we should all be able to laugh at ourselves. So if a harmless prank is played, there's no reason not to release a little of the end-of-the-semester tension right then and there. However, there's a difference between a good laugh and a twisted joke. Have fun on April's Fools, but be well aware of the Line.
For example, it's funny to tell your parents you got a tattoo of something ridiculous, and then shout "April Fool's!" However, it is not funny to tell them you are pregnant. They might croak on the spot before you can shout that famous tag line. If they do happen to live, they might just kill you. Either way, we have a death on our hands and what's so funny about that?
So what I am trying to say is -- April Fool's Day can be really funny, or so so so not funny. So I've provided a list of examples to guide you through your day.
- After talking with a friend, I got a an April Fool's joke that Jim Halpert can learn from. A group of people in their office set an alarm on the fax machine. Who even knew fax machines had alarms? That's the point! The machine was beeping and beeping, causing someone to eventually call the company the fax machine was issued from. Apparently, they spent hours trying to figure out what was wrong with it. All this chaos? Just for an alarm! Funny!
- I was informed by a friend that putting clear shampoo on a toilet seat is harmless fun. The next person to park themselves slips right off!
- Last year, I commented on how I broke my leg on my Facebook status. Both of my parents called me, my boyfriend called me, and many friends. It wasn't exacted genius, but I had a good laugh.
- Breaking up with someone, just to shout "April Fool's!" is just not funny. It might lead to a real break-up, you stand warned.
- Pretending your dead on Facebook is NOT funny. In fact it's just depressing, who wants to fake being dead? Who thinks up this stuff?
- Buying someone a coffee, but filling the coffee cup up with vodka seems kind of funny. But the person may just choke, and die.
- Telling your boyfriend/girlfriend you have chlamydia.
- Telling your daughter who is off at college that her dog died is the most depressing April Fool's joke I've ever heard of.
All in all, what I'm trying to say is: Have fun, laugh, be merry. Just don't ruin someones day with a joke. Be foolish, don't be a fool. :)
Also, if you are feeling extra bored check out my 2 favorite commercials. The first one is hilarious and the last one just has a great message :) Enjoy!